Monday, March 1, 2010

Cheesecake

I did something on Friday that I have never done before. I made cheesecake *applause*. There are were about 100 1oz containers of cream cheese in the fridge so my sister, Jessica, suggested I make a cheesecake. So I found the top rated recipe on allrecipes.com and got to work.


•    15 graham crackers, crushed (I used 1 cup)
•    2 tablespoons butter, melted

•    4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
•    1 1/2 cups white sugar
•    3/4 cup milk
•    4 eggs
•    1 cup sour cream
•    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
•    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Directions
1.    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9 inch springform pan.

2.    In a medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs with melted butter. Press onto bottom of springform pan.

3.    In a large bowl, mix cream cheese with sugar until smooth. Blend in milk, and then stir in the eggs one at a time, mixing just enough to incorporate (I slightly beat the eggs before mixing them in). Stir in sour cream, vanilla and flour until smooth. Pour filling into prepared crust.

4.    Bake in preheated oven for 1 hour. Turn the oven off, and let cake cool in oven with the door closed for
5 to 6 hours; this prevents cracking. Chill in refrigerator until serving.

Pretty straight-forward directions. I don’t know what I did wrong but my cheesecake cracked. Which I would be ok with had I not spent the evening before looking at pictures of cheesecakes and silently laughing at the cracked ones was ok with because my sister described it this way “Incredible cheesecake. Good enough to break my diet for cheesecake.” You need to understand, my sister is pretty much a cheesecake connoisseur so that says a lot! I love success stories from my kitchen!


I also made a raspberry sauce to go on it. I will post that recipe soon.

1 comment:

  1. It's Blaine's mom here. Wow! a piece of cheesecake sounds so good right now. If you lessen the baking time a little, or turn the oven off and leave the cake in, that might help with the cracking on the top. I think I have used a recipe that puts a sourcream mixture on top to disguise any cracking. I bet it was wonderful. Cheesecakes are a little complicated to get just right. Blaine's dad is wanting to learn to make cheesecake. He is supposed to bring home a wonderful recipe for us to try. I have never had tiramisu so I may just have to try your recipe. Have a great week. Jackie

    ReplyDelete