Friday, March 5, 2010

Sourdough Bread


I love this recipe. It tastes better the older your starter is but it make soft loaves of bread that my 3 year old nephew describe as "verra goo" (very good) when his mouth was full of the bread.
  • 4 3/4 cups bread flour (I have no idea how much I use but I think it's more than this)
  • 3 tablespoons white sugar
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm milk (I used sour milk last time and it added to the sourness of the bread)
  • 2 tablespoons butter, softened/metled
  • 1 1/2 cups sourdough starter
  • 1 extra large egg
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 1/4 cup chopped onion (I have never had onions for the top)

Directions

  1. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, salt, and dry yeast. Add milk and softened butter. Stir in starter. Mix in about 3 3/4 cups flour gradually or however much you think you need.
  2. Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead for 8 to 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turn once to oil surface, and cover. Allow to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in volume.
  3. Punch down, and let rest 15 minutes. Shape into loaves. Place in two bread pans or shape into rolls or pretzels. Allow to rise for 1 hour, or until doubled.
  4. Brush egg wash over tops of loaves, and sprinkle with chopped onion. (I always forget the egg step)
  5. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 20-30 minutes, or till done. (I find the pretzels and rolls take about 20 minutes and the loaves about 27)

No comments:

Post a Comment