Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Poached Eggs


I made poached eggs for the first time last night. I also ate them for the first time last night. They are super easy to make and I think I will experiment with them in the future.

You need:

  • As many eggs as you will eat (keep them cold)
  • 3 inches boiling water (I didn't really measure)
  • 2 Chicken or Beef Stock cubes

  1. Bring the water to a boil and stir in the flavor cubes
  2. Reduce the water to a simmer
  3. Doing one egg at a time crack into a bowl and pour into simmering water. I was able to cook 4 eggs at a time in the pot I used.
  4. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the yolk is as soft or hard as you want it. I found that a little hard to figure out and just stuck to the 5 minutes.
  5. Using a slotted spoon scoop the eggs out of the water and drain on the spoon or place on paper towel. 


I've read that you can use tomato juice, wine, plain water, milk, broth, or other liquids to poach the eggs. I may try it in tomato juice one day but that just seems like a waste of tomato juice!

2 comments:

  1. I only just read this so sorry for the late post. You can poach eggs in a kind of tomato stew made with onions and chilli and serve the eggs (in the tomato stew) with cheese and wrapped in a tortilla. That way the eggs get the flavour and nothing gets wasted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, that sounds really good. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete