Friday, March 5, 2010

Sourdough Starter


I love this Sourdough Starter. It’s really easy to do and maintain, as I’m sure they all are but other than Amish Enemy Friendship Bread I haven’t done any. I’ve only used this in one recipe and I’ll post that next. I’m going to try some other recipes at some point to see how they are.
For this starter you will need:
•    1  package active dry yeast (.25 ounce) (2½ teaspoons)
•    2 cups warm water
•    2 cups all-purpose flour
•    Random amount of sugar*
Directions
1.    In large non-metallic bowl, mix dry yeast, 2 cups warm water, and 2 cups all purpose flour and cover loosely.
2.    Leave in a warm place to ferment, 4 to 8 days. Depending on temperature and humidity of kitchen, times may vary. Place on cookie sheet in case of overflow. Check on it occasionally. I’ve never experienced overflow, mine doesn’t seem to grow much at all but I haven’t had a problem with the outcome of the bread so far so I’m sure it’s fine.
3.    When mixture is bubbly and has a pleasant sour smell, it is ready to use. If mixture has a pink, orange, or any other strange color tinge to it, throw it out and start over. Keep it in the refrigerator, covered until ready to bake. My starter only bubbles for the first hour or so after adding to it and then it goes smooth and creamy.
4.    When you use starter to bake, always replace with equal amounts of flour and water mixture with a pinch of sugar. *I don’t measure the sugar, sometimes it’s a tsp other times it is closer to a tbsp. So, if you remove 1 cup starter, replace with 1 cup water and 1 cup flour. Mix well and leave out on the counter until bubbly again, then refrigerate. If a clear to light brown liquid has accumulated on top, don't worry, this is an alcohol base liquid that occurs with fermentation. Just stir the starter to mix it in.

1 comment: