Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Raspberry Sauce






•    1 pint fresh raspberries
•    1/4 cup white sugar
•    2 tablespoons orange juice
•    2 tablespoons cornstarch
•    1 cup cold water
Directions
1.    Combine the raspberries, sugar, and orange juice in a saucepan. Whisk the cornstarch into the cold water until smooth. Add the mixture to the saucepan and bring to a boil.
2.    Simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until the desired consistency is reached. The sauce will thicken further as it cools.
3.    Puree the sauce in a blender or with a handheld immersion blender and strain it through a fine sieve. Serve warm or cold. The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.


I used two bags of frozen raspberries but I don’t remember what size. I think it was a bit less than half a pint extra. I didn’t drain the juice and I added a bit extra sugar but not too much as the cheesecake was sweet and I wanted a contrast. Straining took forever as I was using a tea strainer that sits in a teapot... VERY small holes!  The sauce thickens as it cools down so I had to heat it up a couple of times as it got too thick for the strainer.
This sauce is good mixed into oatmeal or juices or pretty much anything you want to add raspberry flavour to, I like it stirred into Ginger Ale.
 
There was quite a bit of sauce that didn't get strained but because of the seeds I didn't want to do anything with it. I am not a fan of raspberry seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment